Moshe Yudkowsky, Ph.D. — Resume
Moshe Yudkowsky's resume is available in PDF format. The PDF version is formatted for printing; if you view it on your monitor, you'll notice that the first page is mostly white space.
A little tidbit of industry jargon: "ASR" stands for "Automatic Speech Recognition."
Moshe Yudkowsky, President
2952 W. Fargo
Chicago, IL 60645-1223 USA
+1 773 764 8727
speech /at/ pobox.com
- DIALOGIC & INTEL CORPORATION / 1996 - 2002
1996 - 2002: Speech Technology
Mission: Architect and Advocate for Speech Technologies.
(Note: Dialogic was acquired by Intel in 1999.)
- Guide technical development of next-generation speech technology hardware and software. Discover projects and new technologies; mobilize resources; inform, educate, and advise top management; craft agreements with other departments; consult. Determine requirements; analyze and/or create system, architecture and design; survey industry technology; align technology and market; advise on corporate direction for new technologies.
- Track and evaluate speech technologies. Liaise with external speech technology developers. Mediate between them and internal architects/developers.
- Design and oversee/develop software framework to permit rapid migration of Automatic Speech Recogntion (ASR) to next-generation platforms.
- Advocacy: Lecture at industry forums. Publish white papers. Coordinate Enterprise Computer Telephony Forum's (ECTF) "ASR Task Group." Monitor/attend other standards groups.
- AT&T BELL LABORATORIES / 1987 - 1996
1991 - 1996: Speech Technology
Mission: develop and deploy speech recognition systems throughout the world.
- Team leader, AT&T Robotic Operator: Proved concept of robotic operator. Worked closely with marketing to refine application; chose, developed and deployed verifiable artificial intelligence (AI) to mimic operator actions. Generated metrics.
- Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR) for SPRINT: Refined, extended, deployed, and supported Digital Signal Processor (DSP) and UNIX software. Trained customer testers. Visited deployment sites to educate support personnel and resolve complaints.
- Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD): developed network grade, DSP-based recognition system. Patented technology may be used in tandem with spoken requests.
- Moderator, industry standards: developed ASR application programming interface (API) under the auspices of the Signal Computing System Architecture (SCSA) and the Enterprise Computer Telephony Forum (ECTF).
- 1987 - 1991: Special Services
Mission: Telephony services for national security.
- Nationwide Emergency Telecommunications Service: an author of response to U.S. government RFP. Initiated, designed and developed database to track dozens of authors and relate responses to RFP requirements, and tools to automatically extract RFP requirements.
- Defense Switched Network, Regression Test Team Leader: Determined testing goals; developed theory of testing; improved test procedures to measurably increase error detection and minimize expenditure. Measured and tracked both errors and test processes.
- NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY / 1979 - 1987
Department of Physics
Mission: Experimental Condensed Matter Physics.
- Post Doctoral Fellow. Built high-frequency, high -voltage, computer-controlled precision RF equipment for Nuclear Magnetic Resonance apparatus. Analyzed experimental results. Assistant Director of NMR laboratory.
- ENTERPRISE COMPUTER TELEPHONY FORUM / 1993 - 2001
Mission: Industry Standards for Computer Telephony.
- 2000-2001: Technical Chair of the Enterprise Computer Telephony Forum. Manage the technical program and technical managers of the ECTF.
- 1993-2000: Lead team of industry experts to create standard application programming interfaces (APIs) for ASR. Maintain overall view of ECTF architecture and liaison with fellow coordinators. Negotiate with other standards groups (SAPI, JSAPI, VoiceXML, etc.).
- MIDWEST SPEECH TECHNOLOGY ASSOCIATION / 2002 - Present
Mission: Professional Networking.
- Founded the Midwest Speech Technology Association in 2002 to provide professional networking in the Midwest; now serving as Chair of the Board of Directors. The MSTA is now the largest such society in the US, with over 160 members and bi-monthly meetings.
- AVIOS - Applied Voice Input Output Society / 2004 - Present
Mission: Professional Association.
- Member of the Board of Directors; special interests include developing and executing a strategy to create local affiliates.
Speech Recognition & Speech Technology
- Cross-industry knowledge of speech technology techniques: speech recognition, text-to-speech, voice biometrics
- Implement algorithms on Digital Signal Processors (DSP)
- Creative applications with existing technology
- Testing of speech technology and speech technology applications
- Public Speaking: Relaxed, informative, and entertaining
- Presentations: for customers and students
- Writing: effective and concise
- Graphics: clear and engaging
Software and Hardware
- High performance software for critical realtime systems.
- UNIX, Linux, bash, ksh, shell, Python, XML, Perl, C, FORTH, FORTRAN, HTML & etc.; Databases (SQL, etc.); other languages on request.
- Logic, RF hardware
- Open source projects: Voice to Instant Messaging (Jabber); Voice Biometrics for Application Security
PATENTS, PUBLICATIONS, TALKS
- Patents: No. 5,396,536, "Automatic processing of calls with different communication modes [TDD] in a telecommunications system"; Patent No. 5,724,481: "Method for automatic speech recognition of arbitrary spoken words" (coauthor); Patent No. 5,822,727: "Method for automatic speech recognition in telephony"
- Other patents pending
- Numerous Papers and Presentations at industry forums: American Voice Input/Output Society (AVIOS), ASAT, SpeechTek, Computer Telephony Expo, ECTF/SCSA Developer Conferences, VoiceEurope, Dr. Dobb's Journal, TVUI
- Physics: NMR of metals and high-temperature superconductors
- Ph.D., Physics, Northwestern University, 1984
- M. Sc., Physics, Northwestern University, 1979
- B. Sc., Mathematics and Physics, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel, 1979
- Languages: English, Hebrew, retrievable French
- Security clearances: on request
- Past President, Congregation Anshe Motele
- House Manager, Hugo Award Ceremonies, 1996 and 1999
- Panelist, World Science Fiction Convention